Tragic Conclusion: Maine Mass Shooting Suspect Robert Card Found Dead of Apparent Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound Following Two-Day Manhunt

Tragic Conclusion: Maine Mass Shooting Suspect Robert Card Found Dead of Apparent Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound Following Two-Day Manhunt

  • 28.10.2023 08:00

Tragedy Strikes: Maine Gunman Robert Card Found Dead After Deadliest Mass Shooting of the Year

In a grim turn of events, the manhunt for Robert Card, responsible for the deadliest mass shooting in the U.S. this year, concluded with the discovery of his lifeless body on Friday night. Card, who unleashed a horrific attack at a bowling alley and bar in Lewiston, Maine, claimed the lives of 18 people and left dozens injured. The disturbing incident prompted a two-day pursuit that came to an end with Card's apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The search for Card commenced immediately after the bloody assault on Wednesday night, with Maine Governor Janet Mills expressing relief at the news of his demise. At a press conference, Governor Mills emphasized the need for healing, acknowledging the ongoing efforts of law enforcement to thoroughly investigate the facts, bringing closure to the victims and their grieving families.

Card's lifeless body was discovered near a river in Lisbon, Maine, close to his former workplace, Maine Recycling, where he had recently been terminated. Clad in the same clothes worn during the massacre, Card was found with a handgun believed to be the instrument of his self-inflicted demise, according to sources cited by Maine Senator Angus King.

The assailant's abandoned white Subaru Outback was located in Lisbon shortly after the shooting spree at Sparetime Recreation bowling alley and Schemengees Bar & Grille. The violent rampage began around 7 p.m. at the bowling alley, where Card, armed with an assault rifle, opened fire. Minutes later, he continued his deadly assault at the bar, resulting in a total of 18 fatalities and 13 injuries.

Maine officials released the names of the victims on Friday, a heartbreaking roster that included Ronald Morin, Peyton Brewer Ross, Joshua Seal, Brian MacFarlane, Joseph Lawrence Walker, Arthur Fred Strout, Maxx Hathaway, Stephen Vozella, Thomas Ryan Conrad, Michael R. Deslauriers II, Jason Adam Walker, Tricia Asselin, William Young, Aaron Young, Robert Violette, Lucille Violette, William Frank Brackett, and Keith Macneir.

This tragic incident marks the deadliest mass shooting in Maine's history and stands as the most devastating among the eight mass shootings recorded in the U.S. this year. As the community grapples with the aftermath, the haunting specter of this senseless act leaves scars that will take time to heal.

Chronicle of Tragedy: Unraveling the Events Surrounding the Maine Mass Shooting

In the wake of the devastating Maine mass shooting, a tragic chronicle unfolds, revealing the unsettling timeline of events that led to the loss of 18 lives and left 13 others injured at the hands of Robert Card.

Hailing from Bowdoin, Card faced eight counts of murder as declared by the Lewiston Police Department, who, on Facebook, marked him as "armed and dangerous." Authorities discovered a chilling note at Card's residence hinting at his intent to take his own life, a somber revelation reported by CNN. Following a two-week stint in a mental health facility over the summer, Card was discharged, according to law enforcement sources.

The harrowing night commenced on Wednesday at 6:56 p.m. when reports of an active shooter surfaced at Just-In-Time Recreation, a Lewiston bowling alley. By 7:08 p.m., law enforcement received further distressing calls about a gunman at Schemengees Bar & Grille, four miles away from the initial incident.

The sequence of events intensifies:

8:00 p.m.: The Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office released a grainy image of the unidentified suspect, brandishing what appeared to be an AR-15 assault rifle at Just-In-Time, urging the public to provide any available information.

8:09 p.m.: The Maine State Police issued an alert about an active shooter in Lewiston, prompting a shelter-in-place advisory for locals. The neighboring city of Auburn swiftly followed suit.

9:17 p.m.: Lewiston police released a photo of a white Subaru with a black bumper, appealing for public assistance in locating the vehicle.

9:26 p.m.: A Subaru matching the released photo was discovered at the Pejepscot Boat Launch on the Androscoggin River in Lisbon, near Lewiston.

10:52 p.m.: The Lewiston police announced on Facebook the identification of Robert Card as a person of interest linked to the shootings, cautioning the public that he should be considered "armed and dangerous."

Thursday, after 6 a.m.: With unsuccessful overnight searches, the shelter-in-place order expanded to the Bowdoin area.

10:30 a.m.: Governor Janet Mills, alongside other officials, addressed the public in a press conference, confirming the grim toll of 18 lives lost and 13 individuals injured.

Late morning: Leroy Walker shared the heartbreaking news with NBC News that his son, Schemengees bar manager Joseph Walker, fell victim to the shooting.

In this dark chapter of Maine's history, the community grapples with the aftermath, haunted by the echoes of an event that has forever altered the lives of those touched by the tragedy.

Aftermath and Closure: Unraveling the Details Following Robert Card's Demise

The aftermath of the Maine mass shooting takes a revealing turn as additional details about Robert Card emerge, shedding light on the manhunt and the profound impact on the community.

At 2 p.m., the US Coast Guard confirmed their search for Card, suspecting he might have attempted to flee in a 1989 Bayliner Marine Corp 15′ fiberglass boat, a vessel indicated in public records as owned by Card. An Army Reservist stationed in Saco, Maine, Card was also identified as a former engineering student at the University of Maine from 2001 to 2004.

While the motive behind Card's devastating actions remains unclear, a complex narrative unfolds. Sources indicate that Card grappled with mental health issues, recently reporting auditory hallucinations and making threats against a military training base in Saco. His sister disclosed that Card, who had recently started wearing a hearing aid, attributed disturbing voices to the device. These voices, including those heard at the targeted bar during a weekly event for the local deaf community, may have contributed to his troubled state of mind. ABC News sources suggest that Card may have been seeking his ex when he carried out the attacks on the bowling alley and bar.

The news of Card's demise brings a sense of relief to the local community, which endured a two-day lockdown during the intense manhunt. Lisbon Police Chief Ryan McGee expressed the community's collective sentiment, stating, "I was happy for the community. Closure helps." Lewiston City Councilman Robert McCarthy, who resides near the scene of the initial attack, echoed this relief, emphasizing the hope that victims and their families can find solace now that the threat has been neutralized.

The shelter-in-place order, a constant reminder of the community's vulnerability, was finally lifted on Friday evening, bringing a semblance of normalcy back to the region. As the community exhales, officials announced a press conference on Saturday at 10 a.m., promising additional insights into the investigation and, perhaps, a step toward comprehending the motives that led to this tragic event.

Navigating Tragedy and Moving Forward

As the unsettling saga surrounding Robert Card's deadly actions comes to a somber conclusion, the Maine community grapples with the aftermath of the deadliest mass shooting this year. The revelations about Card's mental health struggles, auditory hallucinations, and a troubled history add a layer of complexity to this tragic narrative.

The two-day manhunt, marked by heightened tensions and a city on edge, concluded with the discovery of Card's lifeless body. The relief felt by the community is palpable, as expressed by Lisbon Police Chief Ryan McGee and Lewiston City Councilman Robert McCarthy. The lifting of the shelter-in-place order signifies a tentative return to normalcy, yet the scars left by this senseless act will undoubtedly linger.

As the community breathes a collective sigh, the press conference scheduled for Saturday at 10 a.m. offers a glimmer of hope for understanding the motives behind this devastating event. Closure is sought not only by law enforcement but also by the victims and their families, who now face the challenging journey of healing.

In the face of tragedy, communities often find strength in unity, resilience, and the support of one another. The road ahead may be long, but with shared resolve, compassion, and the unwavering spirit of recovery, the Maine community will navigate through the shadows of this dark chapter, working towards a future defined by remembrance, healing, and a commitment to preventing such horrors in the days to come.